Seared Scallops with Warm Ponzu Vinaigrette
Delicious, light and crisp seared scallops in our handcrafted Small Batch Bourbon Ponzu Sauce.
For the Ponzu Vinaigrette:
- 1 tbsp ginger (sliced into coins)
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp clam juice
- 2 tbsp Small Batch Bourbon Ponzu
- 2 tsp mirin
For the Scallops
- 8 Scallops patted dry with paper towels
- 1 tbsp canola oil
For the Garnish
- 2 strips bacon (cooked + crumbled)
- 1/4 cup micro greens
- 1 tbsp red chili (thinly sliced)
- In a small saucepan, combine all the ingredients for the vinaigrette. Bring to a simmer over high heat. Lower heat to a gentle simmer and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Heat a medium frying pan over high heat. When the pan is scorching hot, add the oil. Carefully lay the scallops in the pan. Avoid overcrowding the pan. Sear on first side until brown and scallop releases easily, lowering heat to medium-high, if needed, to prevent over-browning. This should take about 2-3 minutes. Turn scallops over and cook for another 1-2 minutes. Avoid overcooking so scallops aren’t rubbery.
- Plate scallops. Spoon a little warm vinaigrette around and on top of each scallop. Garnish with a few pieces of bacon, some microgreens and chili slices.
Small Batch Bourbon Ponzu is a combination of Bluegrass Soy Sauce, all natural fresh lemon juice, rice wine vinegar, and a hint of Kentucky bourbon. With the perfect balance of salty and sweet this vibrant sauce adds citrus elements perfect for dumplings and sushi. The clean and refreshing flavors are great for making salad dressings, seasoning fresh vegetables, or marinating fish, pork, poultry, and beef.