Blog, Bourbon Smoked Chef's Blend, Bourbon Smoked Citrus Pepper, Recipes, Salads and Sides
Chef’s Blend Fresh Green Bean Casserole
Green Bean Casserole is a quintessential casserole recipe that’s found at many Thanksgiving tables across the country. However, no longer are the days of opening up a can of condensed soup to create this iconic dish – not that there is anything wrong with that. With access to so many fresh ingredients and the spices to make each ingredient shine, making a Green Bean Casserole is as quick and easy as the original recipe we grew-up adoring.
For the Crispy Onion Topping:
2 medium onions, thinly sliced
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons plus ½ cup panko bread crumbs divided
1 teaspoon kosher salt
Nonstick cooking spray
For green beans and sauce:
2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
1 pound fresh green beans, rinsed, trimmed and halved
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
12 ounces mushrooms, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1/2 teaspoon Bourbon Smoked Citrus Pepper
1 teaspoon Bourbon Smoked Chef’s Blend
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups whole milk
Prepare the Crispy Onion Toping:
• Preheat the oven to 475-degrees F.
• Combine the onions, flour, 1/2 cup panko and salt in a large mixing bowl.
• Toss to combine.
• Coat a sheet pan with nonstick cooking spray and evenly spread the onions on the pan.
• Place the pan on the middle rack of the oven.
• Toss the mixture 2 to 3 times during cooking.
• Bake until golden brown, approximately 30 minutes.
• Remove from the oven and set aside until ready to use.
• Turn the oven down to 400-degrees F.
Blanch the Green Beans:
• In an 8-quart sauce, bring 1-gallon of water and 2 tablespoons of the kosher salt to a boil.
• Add the beans and blanch for 5 minutes.
• Drain and immediately shock beans in a large bowl of ice water to stop the cooking.
*Drain and set aside.
Prepare the Casserole:
• In a 12-inch cast iron, melt 2-tablespoons of butter over medium-high heat.
• Add the 12-ounces of trimmed/cut mushrooms, 1-teaspoon kosher salt and Bourbon Smoked Citrus Pepper and cook, occasionally stirring, until the mushrooms begin to give up some of their liquid, approximately 4 to 5 minutes.
• Add the garlic and nutmeg and continue to cook for another 1 to 2 minutes.
• Sprinkle the flour over the mixture and stir to combine — Cook for 1 minute.
• Whisk in 1-cup of whole milk and simmer for 1-minute. Decrease the heat to medium-low and add the other cup of whole milk.
• Continue to cook until the mixture thickens, occasionally stirring, approximately 6 to 8-minutes.
• Remove from the heat and stir in 1/4 of the onion topping and all of the green beans.
• Spread with the remaining onions topping and the remaining 2-tablespoons of panko on the top.
• Place the cast iron in the oven and bake until bubbly, approximately 15 minutes.
• Remove and serve immediately.
Recipe by Bourbon Barrel Foods, Chef in Residence Chef Michael Hargrove of River City Supper Club. Learn more about Chef Michael’s River City Supper Club Pop-Up’s at eatyourbourbonmarketplace.com.
Leave a reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.
Made the recipe and it was great….but I wasn’t sure when to add the Smoked Chefs blend? Perhaps someone can clarify that step…or am I missing something?