This Bourbon Barrel Turkey Brine is the perfect combination of Bourbon Smoked flavors. Brining a turkey overnight in a solution of salt and water ensures a moist and flavorful turkey. When you add smoked spices to the brine, the resulting roast is also infused with a subtle character all its own.
Bourbon Barrel Smoky, Savory Turkey Wet Brine
Delicious wet brine perfect for your Thanksgiving turkey.
- 1 gallon vegetable broth or water
- 1 cup Bourbon Smoked Salt
- 1/2 cup Bourbon Smoked Sugar
- 1 tbsp Bourbon Smoked Pepper
- 1/2 tbsp whole allspice
- 1 gallon ice water (extra ice if storing in a cooler)
- In a large stockpot, add the vegetable broth, salt, sugar, and spices. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring to dissolve the salt. Remove from heat and allow to cool completely. This step can be done 1-2 days ahead
- Using a large pot or clean bucket that will top the turkey, pour the brine into your chosen container.
- Add 1 gallon of heavily iced water and stir. Submerge the turkey, breast side down, into the brine.
- Store in the refrigerator, overnight, if you have room. You may also put the container into a large cooler and surround with ice.
- The next day, remove from brine, drain and pat dry well with paper towels before proceeding to roast the turkey.