National Old Fashioned Day
The Old Fashioned Cocktail is the “World’s First Classic Cocktail” that has never gone out of style. The origin of the cocktail goes back as far as the 1800s and is rumored to originate at Louisville, Kentucky’s Pendennis Club. The earliest drink was known as the Whiskey Cocktail for its simplicity and balance of ingredients.
The Old Fashioned Cocktail is a beverage of evolution, with many popular variations, including a Brandy Old Fashioned, made famous in Wisconsin. However, the cocktail is traditionally made with Bourbon, Rye or Whiskey, lightly sweetened with sugar, added bitters for aromatics, then served over ice with an orange peel.
National Old Fashioned Day is on June 14th, and we are celebrating with our collection of Old Fashioned Cocktail Provisions and Recipes.
Old Fashioned Provisions
- Visit our Recipes section for more great ideas.
- Handcrafted in Louisville, Kentucky.
- Ideal for baking, candies, Ice Cream, and Cocktails.
- 0.5 Ounce Miniature Tin
- 13 Ounce Food Service Shaker Bottle
- 4 fluid ounces | 118 ml.
- Glass Bottle
- Re-sealable lid
- Refrigerate After Opening
- Perfect Old Fashioned Recipe
Old Fashioned Recipes
Woodford Reserve Old Fashioned
Old Forester® Perfect Old Fashioned
Smoky Old Fashioned
1 tsp. Woodford Reserve® Bourbon Smoked Sugar
2 dashes Woodford Reserve® Sassafras and Sorghum Bitters
1 Woodford Reserve® Bourbon Cherry
1 orange slice
Splash of water or club soda
2 oz. Woodford Reserve® bourbon
In a glass, muddle together Smoked Sugar, Bitters, Woodford Reserve® Bourbon Cherry, and the orange wedge in a glass. Add Woodford Reserve® Bourbon, water, and a few ice cubes.
Bourbon Maple Old Fashioned
- 2 oz Bourbon
- 0.5 oz Bourbon Barrel Aged Maple Syrup
- 3-drops Woodford Reserve® Orange Bitters
- Orange peel for garnish
- Bourbon Smoked Pepper Bacon for garnish
Amber Old Fashioned
- 1/2 cup Woodford Reserve® Bourbon
- 1 tablespoon Bourbon Smoked Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Woodford Reserve® Aromatic Bitters
- 2 (12 ounce) bottles amber beer
- 4 strips orange peel
- 4 Woodford Reserve® Bourbon Cherries
Instructions: (makes four servings)
Fill a cocktail shaker with ice. Add bourbon, sugar, and bitters. Shake well. Strain into 4 rocks glasses and top each glass with 6 oz. bottle of beer.
Rub each glass rim with orange peel and add to the drink. Garnish with a bourbon cherry and serve.
Old Fashioned Extras
Bourbon Smoked Simple Syrup
BOURBON SMOKED SIMPLE SYRUP
- 1 cup Bourbon Smoked Sugar
- 1 cup water
Mix ingredients in a pot. Mix until sugar is dissolved on medium heat, remove from heat. Cool and store in an airtight container. Keep refrigerated and discard after two weeks.
Sassafras and Sorghum Sugar Cubes
- 1 cup superfine sugar
- 1 Tbsp. (1/2 fluid oz.) Woodford Reserve® Sassafras and Sorghum Bitters
Combine sugar and bitters in a bowl and stir until liquid is evenly distributed. Heat oven to 250 degrees F. Line an oven-safe baking pan with parchment. Pour the sugar onto the parchment paper. Pack the sugar into the base of the pan very tightly with a spatula. The mixture should be about 1/2 inch thick.
Using a thin knife, score the sugar into a grid of cubes of the size you want, slicing all the way through the layer of sugar. Place the pan in the oven to dry for one hour.
Remove the pan and let cool for 10 minutes.
Break up the cubes. Pull the sugar cubes out of the pan and break them apart with your hands. Store cubes in an airtight container. Serve with champagne.
Old Fashioned Bar
- Set includes 1 mold
- Color: Gray
- 6 Compartments - each makes one giant 2" ice cube.
- Flexible silicone molds release cubes instantly.
- Design keeps molds upright in the freezer.
- Stackable molds conserve freezer space
- 100% food grade silicone
- Dishwasher safe.
- Stainless steel
- Strains fruit, herbs & ice for cocktails
- Dishwasher safe
- Fits standard mixing glasses
- Great for any home bar!