Blog, Bourbon Smoked Sea Salt, Bourbon Smoked Sugar, Bourbon-Madagascar Vanilla Extract, Desserts, Recipes
Burnt Bourbon Maple Buttercream with Pumpkin Spice Cake
by Chef Loreal Gavin
Prep Time: 90 minutes
Bake Time: 15-35 minutes
Total Time: 2 Hours
Ingredients for cake:
- 2 boxes of store-bought spice cake mix
- Water, vegetable oil and eggs called for on cake mix boxes
- 1 ( 15 oz ) can of pumpkin puree or two cups of leftover pumpkin pie
Method for cake:
- Prepare cake according to the recipe on the box.
- While mixing, add pumpkin pie or canned pumpkin puree.
- Line pan with parchment paper and fill to 3/4 full.
- Bake according to the recommendations on the box.
Cool cake for 15-30 minutes
Ingredients for Burnt Bourbon Maple Buttercream:
- 2 tablespoon Bourbon Barrel Aged Madagascar Vanilla Extract
- 1 1/4 cup granulated sugar or Bourbon Smoked Sugar
- 1/4 cup Bourbon Barrel Aged Maple Syrup
- 8 (about 1 cup) egg whites
- 2 cup (4 sticks) unsalted butter, cubed and softened at room temperature
- Bourbon Smoked Sea Salt to taste
Method for buttercream:
- Combine granulated sugar or Bourbon Smoked Sugar and Bourbon Barrel Aged Maple Syrup in a medium-sized saucepan. Heat over low heat, stirring with a metal spoon, until the sugar has dissolved and the syrup is clear. Increase heat to medium-high and allow syrup to come to a rolling boil.
- Place egg whites in a stand mixer with whisk or in medium bowl using a handheld mixer, beat until whites are almost able to hold soft peaks. They will start to look slightly ‘shiny’ when ready.
- Cook syrup until it reaches 235°F, then immediately remove from heat and slowly drizzle the hot syrup into the bowl with the egg whites, mixing continuously to prevent the eggs from scrambling. Pour syrup in a steady slow stream in a spot in the center of the top of the spinning whisk. Once all the syrup has been added, keep mixing on medium-high until the bottom of the bowl feels cool to the touch, and the meringue has cooled down to room temperature, about 15-20 minutes.
- Add butter one cube at a time, beating well after each addition. Add in the vanilla and salt. The buttercream may start to look as if it’s curdling, but keep whipping until the buttercream comes together and becomes smooth and silky, about 15 minutes.
Use buttercream immediately or refrigerate in an airtight container in the fridge for up to two weeks or in the freezer for up to two months.
Ingredients for garnish:
- 1 refrigerated pie crust
- 1/4 cup Bourbon Smoked Sugar
- 2 tablespoon ground cinnamon
Method for garnish:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Unroll the pie crust and lay it onto a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Sprinkle the pie crust with sugar and cinnamon then delicately cut the unbaked pie crust into 10 separate pieces with a pastry cutter or butter knife.
- Bake for 7-10 minutes or until crispy and golden brown.
- Allow baked pie crust to cool.
- Break into smaller pieces.
Use for decorating cake.