This delicious and refreshing grilled corn is sure to please the taste buds. With the summer in full swing and the grill lit up every weekend you have to add this to your list of recipes to try. Corn is in full harvest by mid summer and if you are like us, always looking for new ways to enjoy delicious vegetables. We are serving up this traditional Mexican grilled corn recipe, bourbon style!
Corn or Maize is indistinguishably tied to the day-to-day lives of the city residents and farmlands people of Mexico. As the basic grain for the region, it shapes daily meals, and it’s growing cycle influences the timing of cultural festivals. The image and shape of maize is a ubiquitous component of the architecture and crafts used in Mexican art. Spiritually, physically, and economically, corn sustains the native people of Mexico’s farmland. In the words of one Indian woman, “Corn is so important because it allows us to live at peace”.
The making of corn in this fashion is not only delicious, but it is a step into the Mexican street history. Using the bourbon smoked products only enhances the flavors already rich in tradition. The Bourbon Smoked Paprika is domestically harvested and handpicked from a family owned farm, in New Mexico. Then we slow smoke it by hand in small batches, using bourbon barrel staves. The staves have been used once to age Kentucky’s finest bourbon, and then used again to age Bluegrass Soy Sauce. We use every inch of the bourbon barrel before it’s over. The unique and smokey flavors from the small batch products are what gives this recipe an edge and makes it memorable past the last bite.
Grilled Corn, Mexican Style
Delicious corn cooked on the grill then served up with a Mexican spin.
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup Mexican crema or sour cream
- 1/2 cup cotija or feta cheese (finely crumbled)
- 1/2 tsp Bourbon Smoked Paprika
- 1 garlic clove (minced fine)
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped (plus extra for garnishing )
- 1/2 tsp Bourbon Smoked Sea Salt
- 1/4 tsp Bourbon Smoked Pepper
- 4-5 ears of corn (shucked)
- 1 lime (cut into wedges)
Preheat a grill pan or grill over high heat or use charcoal.
While the grill is heating, combine all the ingredients in a medium bowl, except the corn and lime. Stir well.
Grill corn, rotating occasionally until cooked and charred on all sides, about 8 minutes total.
Using a large spoon or brush, coat cheese mixture evenly on all sides of the grilled corn.
Dust with more smoked paprika and garnish with chopped cilantro.
Serve immediately with lime wedges.
Grilled Corn, Mexican Style
Makes 4-5 servings
¼ cup mayonnaise
¼ cup Mexican crema or sour cream
½ cup Cotija or Feta Cheese, finely crumbled
½ teaspoon Bourbon Smoked Paprika, plus extra for sprinkling
1 garlic clove, minced fine
¼ cup cilantro, chopped, plus extra for garnishing
½ teaspoon Bourbon Smoked Salt
¼ teaspoon Bourbon Smoked Pepper
4-5 ears corn, shucked
1 lime, cut into wedges
Try them with these cute corn holders, they help keep your fingers clean!
1) Preheat a grill pan or grill over high heat or use charcoal. While the grill is heating, combine all the ingredients in a medium bowl, except the corn and lime. Stir well.
2) Grill corn, rotating occasionally until cooked and charred on all sides, about 8 minutes total. Using a large spoon or brush, coat cheese mixture evenly on all sides of the grilled corn. Dust with more smoked paprika and garnish with chopped cilantro. Serve immediately with lime wedges.
Traditional Mexican Street Corn served up, bourbon style!